If we are talking about DIGITAL VOICE, I believe the answer is receiving
the signal and demodulating it to the DIGITAL baseband stream, verifying
the stream integrity, and then, if tit passes the integrity test,
reshaping (regenerating the pulses) and remodulating. No decoding or
converting to baseband other than to monitor the content, if  any.

Integrity check is important to avoid retransmitting garbage.

Seems it is a task for a fairly powerful PC with a soundcard, at least a
P III with 256 MB RAM and a decent audio card.

There should be some sort of periodic beacon transmitted to allow
precise tuning to the digital repeater input frequency.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

----

W2XJ wrote:

> MFJ sells a MFJ-662 pocket repeater for $79.95. Basically it is a digital
> store
> and forward box that records up to 32 seconds of audio and then re transmits
> it
> once the receiver is squelched or after the 32 seconds. They claim it works
> with
> any rig including HTs and is legal in any band but that would mean some sort
> of
> PL or DTMF tones would be required to prevent the system from keying on
> undesired signals.
>

> Andrew O'Brien wrote:
>> So, , how would one actually "repeat"  a signal ?
>>
>> Andy

V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación
Energética.
22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu