In order to use a software version of Amtor, you would need to switch to
Linux OS. From what I have read, however, it is not very effective
compared to a dedicated box. Amtor had its day, and I operated it with
several different types of boxes, but it is fairly slow and can not work
into the noise as well as the newer sound card modes, and it can not
handle the full ASCII character set.

I think you will find that the new 141A FAE mode to do better than Amtor
and you have the full ASCII character set and you have quasi duplex
operation very similar to the way that Clover II worked.

The free Multipsk program can decode AMTOR ARQ but of course has no way
to handle repeats. It can transmit and receive with AMTOR FEC.
Similarly, it can listen to Pactor 1 ARQ and it can transmit Pactor FEC.