Rick,

A local ham contacted the Veterans Affairs office in this county.

Several hams in my local area are checking all the suggestions we have
received so far, we also have a call in to our local Congressperson.
Meanwhile,  a ham well known to this group has emailed me privately and
offered to cover the costs .  We will explore options via veterans groups
over the weekend but will take up this generous offer from a digitalradio
member , pending review of the arrangements, if no other options are found.

Andy K3UK