I'm very much a newcomer to digital modes, so please pardon this
question.  I'm interested in designing a QRP rig that uses digital modes
for portable operation in the field, much like the KX-1 and ATS do for
CW.  Other that PSK31, which digital modes are best suited for this type
of operation?

Thanks,
Mike KD4SGN