Long ago, when I started with PSK31, the word was - use low power.
Dial the rig down (approximately 20-35) watts,adjust mic gain for ALC
flicker, then back mic gain off a smidge.

But I've been out of digital mode for a year or more and my recent
searches come up with, "...keep the rig at high power (75 - 85 watts)
and adjust the mic gain till power meter reads 25-35 watts? It
couldn't be till ALC flickers because that's a standard SSB signal at
80 watts at 100% duty cycle and I don't think that was the goal.

There was something about keeping the power level high for linearity.
Would I use some digital software like the old WinPSK that has a tune
button. Push the tune button and adjust mic gain till forward power
meter reads the 30 or so watts?

What is today's "Best Practices".

Thank you and 73,
Paul