On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:03:10 -0000, charmquark69 wrote:

> ALC set really low

It's better to have no sign of ALC.  If the Circuit must work, the Input is to
High and the Audio could be dissorted. I
use a Kenwood TS-480. My Setup of the RIG and the Audio is as follow:
HF-Power Output is on Maximum (Don't shout, I don't use 100 Watt).  Slowly
adjust the HF-Output with the Audio
Volume of your Soundcard. Watch the ALC-Meter. If there is a sign of working,
Maximum Output is arrived. Cut
down the Audio Volume a little bit and the Signal should be clean. With this
Setup, i can use up to 90 Watt in
PSK (i use 25 to 30 Watt). Never got complains and i have seen a screenshot of
my Stream.

High SWR:
Yes, that could be a reason for bad Modulation. The Circuit cuts down the
Output very harsh and than tries to TX
with Full Power again. If the SWR is still high, it cuts down again and tries
again. In SSB, the Modulation sounds
than very dissorted.

>But could this be the only reason for bad mod?  And again, is there a
>tool/piece of hardware/software I could use to check the cleanness
>(or otherwise)  of the signal AFTER it's left the TRX?  Or is it
>simply a case of having separate RX in the shack, tuned to my freq,
>connected to the PC, and inspect the waterfall/spectrum there?

Look for "PSK-Meter", thats Hardware. Or for a nearby OM for an ON AIR Test.

73 de Heinz-Juergen DO1YHJ