Hello to all,

For the ones interested by doing ALE and ARQ FAE in small bandwith (400 Hz), I
have derived from the standard ALE a new ALE which bandwidth is 400 Hz (instead
of 2000 Hz) and which name is "ALE400".

This ALE system has exactly the same functions as the standard ALE (in
Multipsk) except that the:
* bandwidth is 400 Hz (so ALE400 can be done anywhere where 500 Hz modes are
authorized),
* the speed (and consequently the text throughput) is 2.5 slower,
* no fix frequency (it is as MFSK16, Olivia or DominoEX modes)
* the S/N is 5 dB better:
    - 9 dB for AMD messages and Unproto
    - 11.5 dB (- 13.5 dB with many repetitions) for ARQ FAE

For ARQ FAE, it has been added a compression system using a modified IZ8BLY
(Nino) MFSK Varicode.
So the text throughput (in ALE400) is typically 60 wpm (up to 107 mpm in
bilateral and 63 characters frames).

This test version in a ZIP test package is available in my site
http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_TEST_27_10_2007.ZIP
 (copy and paste this adress in Internet Explorer (or equivalent) Net adress
field).
It contains the Multipsk test version, the help files (in English and French)
and the specifications (in English) of the ARQ FAE mode (version 1.4).
Create a tempory folder (C:/TEST, for example), unzip the files in it and start
C:\TEST\TEST\Multipsk.exe (the auxiliary files will be created automatically).
For the contextual help, click on the right button of the mouse, with the focus
over the mode button "ALE400".
Use also the button hints (wait a fraction of second over a button).

For the European Hams, I propose a test in 14074 KHz USB on the XCVR (AF more
or less 1000 Hz) this saturday at 10h00 UTC. I will call CQ in ARQ FAE (with a
previous RS ID).

Hints:
* if you are the "Master" (initiator of the CQ): confirm the RS ID transmission
in "Options" (to permit an automatic tuning for other Hams), check "Master" on
the Mode panel and, afterwards, push the button "CQ",
* if you are the "Slave" (the Ham who answers): push the button "RS ID
detection" (to permit your automatic tuning on CQ), check "Slave" on the Mode
panel and, afterwards, push the button "Answer".
Both will push on the "AFC" button.

Note: it rings on successful connexion (on both sides).

For the test, here is the "Louise text"
"Louise and Philip plan to visit Washington, DC. They are getting advice from a
travel agent on the best way to go. Louise prefers a scenic overland trip to
the airplane. On the other hand, she feels discomfort of one kind or another on
the bus or the train.
And renting a car is out of the question since they don't have an international
driver's licence. Just as they makeup their minds to take the bus, Nancy turns
up and soon has one of her brainstorms... "

73

Patrick