This seems like a good time to mention the late Bob
Weitbrecht, W6NRM.  He was for all practical purposes
totally deaf, but was able to copy CW.  I never knew
if he had just enough hearing at one frequency to
hear the tone or if he felt the vibrations on the
headphones on his head.  Anyway, at an early age he
got a ham license and that opened up a whole new
social world to him.  Like that famous cartoon with
the caption "On the Internet nobody knows you're a dog"
for him it was "On ham radio (CW) nobody knows you're
deaf."

When RTTY came along in the 1950s Bob was one of the great
enthusiasts and technical developers.  He traveled
thousands of miles promoting RTTY and helping other hams
to get on the air with it.  He was, I've been told, one
of the main actors in getting FCC to approve the use of
FSK on the HF ham bands starting in 1953.  Bob was the hero
to a whole generation of hams who got on RTTY before Irv
Hoff came into the picture.

Then in the early 1960s Bob tried to help a deaf friend get
a ham license, but his friend was totally unable to copy
CW.  So Bob turned to telephone communication, resulting in
the protocols and modem standard now widely used and called TDD.