I' ve been doing similar stuff for years. the boot managers that linux and
variants use works well. the minor problem is that most C drives will be
NTFS file system and linux still likes FAT32 better so if you can convert
the NTFS to FAT32 then linux may like it better.  generrally Partition magic
did the trick but may need to search for other tools. also if you have vista
that may cause problems I cant recall if vista requires NTFS.  may need to
look this up.    the problems with ntfs have been a concern over data and
data and drive corruption.  this is with knoppix, and Redhat and suse.
downloading ubantu to setup a dual boot on a desktop with XP.  Also have
vista on  a different machine, but those drives are full of data and photos.
so will have to clean up a bit to test it there. should work. just read the
documentation and heed warnings and take your time with the install.