--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Sholto Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It can also clog up our bands.
>
> For instance I am monitoring a Pactor 2 transmission on 30m that has
been on
> going for around 25 minutes so far and the latest email to go
through is
> titled:
>
> <FW: Please read til the end-Why boys need parents...269250
>
> Do we really need 262Kb emails like this on HF????

That's an interesting observation.  Maybe you could keep some
statistics on message lengths - it seems like Winlink ought to
have a severe limit on message length.

And then forwarded do-gooder emails are the bane of regular email
as well as radio-forwarded mail.  When I see FW in the subject
like of a message I almost always delete it without reading.
The few exceptions are when the rest of the subject line shows
it is something related to a current topic that I am interested
in.

There is a book "United States Army in Vietnam, Military
communications, a test for technology."  It is very dry reading,
being official history, yet it gives some insights into why the
U.S. was losing the war.  There is a passage about someone
sending a message with Operational Immediate precedence, which
means it blocked all messages of lower precedence, and it was
so long it took 8 hours of operator time to punch into tape
before it started transmitting.  Then took several hours to
transmit.