From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:11 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] First FCC Came for the PACTOR

Michael,

There is an incredible amount of FUD going on with Bonnie's posting and
it has been repeated over and over by many posting to the FCC web site.
The major part of Mark's petition *IS* to correct the Winlink 2000
automatic stations from transmitting anyplace in what is becoming
narrower text data portions of the bands. Here in the U.S. we just lost
over 50% of the 80 meter band for text digital and 25 kHz of 40 meters
as well. The intent of the petition is to reduce the extremely wide
modes from operating in what used to be the narrow mode areas of the
band. And to keep them in a narrower area, not throughout the band as
they now operate. But it is still a compromise.

A more realistic solution would have been be 500 Hz maximum bandwidth,
and then wider modes up higher, but the FCC has made that more difficult
with their recent ruling that took away some of these privileges from
all hams on 80 and 40 and gave them to Extra class hams (some to
Advanced class yet you can no longer get a license for that class) for
voice/image. It is true that those of us who are Extra class, can
transmit digital data in the voice/image areas just above the text
digital areas, but we would have to use such modes as ALE signaling, or
image, and of course, digital voice, which is permitted throughout any
voice portions of the bands.

The text digital modes that work well with weaker signals tend to be the
under 500 Hz modes. Examples are MFSK16 and MFSK8, PSK modes if the
conditions are stable, Olivia modes, and ini the past few weeks, the ALE
400/FAE 400 modes which are truly amazing and only require around a 400
Hz bandwidth, yet work deep into the noise, far, far, better than MT-63,
standard wide mode ALE, and can compete for the first time with Pactor.
And that is using an old technology that is tweaked down to operate at a
slower 50 baud rate that works when 125 baud does not work at all.

Note that even Pactor 3, defaults to much narrower mode when it drops
down to Speed Level 1, well below 1500 Hz, when it can not operate in
the wide, higher speed modes, due to deteriorating band conditions.

The HF bands are not going to become quiet. Where are you hearing this?
We have low sun spots right now, but the will change in a few years and
you will hear a lot more activity on the higher bands. Probably more
than you might want at times. Look what happens when a contest occurs on
the weekends. Suddenly an explosive number of operators on whatever
modes are promoted by that contest.

Digital is useful in some cases, but in other cases, particularly
complex systems using digital, it may not work very well. Just because
something is new, does not always make it better than the existing
technology.

Michael Hatzakis Jr MD wrote:

> I agree; a little unnecessary drama. I think we can stay rational and
> have an educational discussion. I've learned from this debate and this
> is the most useful purpose for sharing opinions, even if I disagree
> with some. Even still, let's use the FCC web site and exercise what
> democracy remains on the use of the airwaves and register our opinions.
>
> I am hearing the major objection to PMBO's is their inability to
> listen to other stations, not just other PMBO's, before they occupy a
> frequency. So why isn't the proposed rulemaking oriented towards
> solving THESE SPECIFIC problems rather than abolishing them? Seems
> this would be consistent with FCC intended rules and would be a
> no-brainer to get passed. I agree, this community may not have played
> fair, so regulate the activity that is a problem.
>
> HF digital modes that can operate under very low signal situations are
> very useful to many and would be sad to see them be abolished. I
> agree, their use needs to be fine tuned, but abolishing them seems
> draconian. With all our innovation, why not spend our energy on their
> fair and more efficient use rather than chasing them away.
>
> My fear is that if we chase away modes we don't like, when HF bands
> become really quiet because people no longer use CW and the number of
> hams declines because the hobby becomes uninteresting, the allocation
> gets sold to the highest commercial bidder. We need to promote
> diversity to survive. The world is going digital and wireless and this
> is what many new hams enjoy, like myself.
>
> Michael

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database