From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jgorman01
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:24 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: HF BBS systems

It seems like the "need for speed" has become a goal unto itself with little
advantage to the broad majority who have to live with the wide bandwidths
that higher speeds require.  I'm curious as to why the need for speed is
driving some folks when it comes to amateur to amateur communication.
Perhaps someone can explain it to me.  It appears obvious from Rick's
comment that a lot of amateur radio software developers seem to get more
kicks out of working on lower speed, low snr protocols.

I also keep seeing the "need for speed" touted as technical innovation when
in reality it is using off the shelf commercially produced modems.  Where's
the innovation that a bandwidth limit is going to stop?  Is it just that it
will keep us from using faster commercially produced modems?

Jim
WA0LYK