  From: W2XJ
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 14:25 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: [illinoisdigitalham] Re: Power Mask for
Bandwidth Rules - USA

  At one time the ARRL published plans for class B modulators with no
  filters. What they publish will stay with the times. There is no reason
  higher order analog filters can not be built if required. 25 or 30 db
  down at 3.5 K is not unreasonable since such analog filters are 1980s
  state of the art. Digital filters and digital modulators are no longer
  black art either. Then there are the popular SDR designs where almost
  anything is possible. I thought the hobby was supposed to advance the
  art not mimic commercial art of decades past.

  John B. Stephensen wrote:
  > The ARRL is publishing designs for simple phasing SSB exciters with 3-pole
filters and filter-type exciters with 4-pole crystal filters so we can't count
on DSP. Phasing transmitter kits have filters with at least 5-poles so they are
somewhat better. These should be able to acheive 23 dB suppression 4 kHz from
the carrier under any circumstances. There could be an exception for older AM
transmitters or transmitters under 10W PEP. What is really needed is a rule
that says 3rd order IMD must be at least 30 dB down.

  > 73,
  >
  > John
  > KD6OZH

Bandwidth Rules - USA

  > Modern filters that have been used in real equipment since the 80s can
  > be -1 db at 3100 and down 25 db at 3.5 k with negligible overshoot and
  > ripple in the 10ths of a DB. Chebyshev filters are not really the filter
  > of choice for this, elliptic tilers with some custom tweaks are a better
  > choice. They are in very common use in broadcasting. Today digital
  > filter, common in current rigs, can do much better.
  >
  > A lesson to be learned from AM broadcast is that when emission
  > standards were tightened, allowance in the standard was made for older
  > rigs. That so called mask was then later used as a means to add digital
  > carriers. There is a lot of interference created. A better approach
  > would exempt transmitter built before a certain date but only for the AM
  > mode.
  >
  > ohn B. Stephensen wrote:
  > > An emission mask must accomodate AM so I looked at the speech amplifier
and modulator chapter in the 1955 Radio Amateur's Handbook. It advocates up to
25 dB of clipping and no circuit has more than a 3-pole filter. The best that
can be done today is a Chebyshev filter with 1 dB ripple and a 2.5 kHz cutoff
frequency providing 23 dB of attenuation at 5 kHz and 27dB of attenuation at
6.5 kHz. Filters would be worse in 1955 as modern filter design methologies
hadn't been invented yet.

  > > Only the outer portions of the mask should be defined in the regulations
so that old equipment can continue to be used but hams with more modern
equipment can be more efficient and use a larger percentage of the channel. The
ARRL proposal of 9 kHz at -23 dB might be the best than AM'ers can acheive now.