Russel,

If your goal is to set up an automated beacon on the 10 meter band, then
you're ok as per Part 97.203. It looks like your out of luck if you want
to test propagation using your own beacon on the lower HF frequencies
without being present in the shack.

That being the case, why not call CQ instead of broadcasting a one way
beacon? You'll pretty much gain the same knowledge about propagation and
make a contact in the interim!

If your interests are strictly propagation, there's always the NCDXF
beacons. They are in continuous operation 24/7 on 14100.0, 18110.0,
21.150.0, 24.930.0 and 28.200.0.

Good luck with your endeavors...

Tony -K2MO