On Thursday 24 January 2008 01:36:46 pm Jeff Hochman wrote:

> OK, granted this is a subjective question and people could possibly
> have various opinions one way or the other, but I'm looking to get into
> PSK31 and am shopping around for an interface between my IC-718
> transceiver and my PC.  Ideally I'd also like to get a solution that
> would also do other digital modes as well as CW, and allow automated
> control of my rig via the PC (or even remotely over the internet).
> I've seen several interface cables, etc. that connect to the various
> ports on a PC and I have all ports (i.e. USB, serial, etc.) to use if
> necessary.  I just want to find something that mostly works "out of the
> box" and doesn't cost too much and is reasonably flexible in terms of
> the digital modes it supports.  Thanks for any info/pointers..

If you spend a lot of money on an interface, it's because you wanted to, not
because you need to. If you are a builder, it's a hand full of parts. If you
have any old PC modem cards, you can steal the audio isolation transformers
off of them and get past two important parts for free.

Or buy something like the Rascal kit and build it. Comes with interface cables
and everything shipped for under $50.

It's not like it's some complicated piece of equipment.