--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I started my RTTY career using 2125 and 2975 tones...

Same here, and with a pre-WW-II Super Pro receiver that would have
drifted right out the window if it had not been screwed down.  And
a transmitter of the same vintage with a VFO down in the broadcast
band and multiplying all the way up.  Operation on 20M was
practically unthinkable, even if we had not been in an extreme
fringe area for TV and even if the transmitter had not had about
18" of excess lead length in the PA tank circuit.

until those young brats started pushing the envelope (or should I say,
squeezing the envelope) with those 170 Hz tones... things were much
simpler in those good ole days... your betcha... the smell of a well
oiled machine, a whiff of ozone from the commutator, polar relays!
(hey remember them?), and the quiet roar of all that machinery
pounding out your CQ's... It was great... well, except for two
things... having your platen pounded to death at the right margin, and
coming home to find a half roll of paper behind the machine because
some smart-a** thought it was cute to auto start your machine and feed
it 15 minutes of line feeds. Yep, the good ole days...  ! ! !

Seems like the late Irv Hoff was especially plagued with that
problem, as he had a large fan club and a small but vocal
anti-fan club.  He worked out a scheme for the Model 28 stunt
box - I have one of the machines fitted out that way, but I
no longer remember exactly what it all was.  It involved putting
in the automatic carriage return and line feed kit, to take care
of the occasional missing carriage return.  Then it was something
like having the carriage return character also do the line feed,
and suppressing line feeds on repeated carriage returns.

Jim W6JVE