Expeditionradio said:

"This narrow auto sub-band is time-shared with
many different automatic/semi-automatic
nets and stations, including various packet
and pactor modes. The segment is only 4kHz wide,
so if one is using a standard 3kHz SSB filter,
it almost covers the whole segment. It is
important, as ALE400 operators, for us to
co-operate with the other nets and modes we
share this narrow segment of the band with.
We will never achieve a "worldwide clear frequency"
specific to ALE400 in this narrow sub-band,
so we must accept some non-ALE400 interference,
as the reality of operating in this part of 20 meters.
If the frequency is already in use, this means
that we sometimes may need to wait a few minutes
to make an ALE400 call. "

The HF link folks are NOT an official body, rather a small group of ALE
enthusiasts who actively support PCALE software.

They do not support multipsk.

In my opinion PCALE is inferior to MultiPSK and is unable to do many of the
things that MPSK is capable of , including working down into the noise, and
the ease of an ARQ QSO , or passing files.

The HFlink folks would relegate ALE400 to frequencies which would be
undesirable, with birdies, and packet interference. Why?

It is up to ALE400 users to pick a frequency, more particularly, it is up to
US users to pick frequencies which conform to the US band plan , which the
rest of us don't understand. There is no reason why ALE400 could not share
14109.5 with regular ALE stations, of which there appears to be relatively
few active.  Maybe an adjacent frequency such as 14108.5 would be
satisfactory.

The point is as ALE400 users, we don't have to take Bonnie and the HFlink's
suggestions as gospel. We can, and should find our own way with a frequency
that is relatively clear and useable.

John

VE5MU