I am trying to use the host serial console functionality to control a
repeater controller from a X-1J4 TheNet digipeater.  The issue I'm
running into is the fact that the digipeater appears to repeatedly be
sending a string to the repeater controller that the repeater
controller interprets as an invalid command.  I understand there is a
way to turn that off, but so far I haven't be able to tweak the
controls to arrive at that point.  Can anyone point me to the correct
mode settings to make this work?  The repeater controller doesn't
have any options for the serial port.

Follows is a transcript of the "ping-pong" action between the two
devices.  Invalid DTMF character comes from the repeater controller,
the "DF2AU/..." is from the TNC.

cmd:*** CONNECTED to NQ4Y-1
host
GRUNDY:NQ4Y-1} Please wait, trying Local host GRUNDY:NQ4Y-1}
Connected to GRUNDY:NQ4Y-1 rn ihdfmr : Unrecornized command
Umm:aoa^ooEm>rdrozed command edoc^^a^dy DF2AU/DC4OX/GEKBB
o>r

 rc:reemrror: Invalid DTMF character
nn^m^>r JError: UnrecognizedooNEMoea
e  mo
edc
rnco^nized cNEtind
edrt^on>TheNet X-NJN NQ4Y-1
cdEm^drnUnrecognized e^mnrnd
cmd:Fn
 dfmr : Unrecornized command
iUm:aoa^ooEm>rdrozed command
idoc^^a^dy DF2AU/DC4OX/GEKBB
cmd:d
*** retry count exceeded
*** DISCONNECTED
cmd:NQ4Y-1>NQ4Y:i>r

NQ4Y-1>NQ4Y:i^rc:reemrror: Invalid DTMF character

thank you!

NQ4Y