> Mark N5RFX wrote:
> I am disappointed that the  FCC did not elaborate on the
> purpose of Section 97.307(f) which limits specified
> RTTY or data emissions to a symbol rate not to
> exceed 300 bauds...
> Why is that there?
> The FCC has spoken and the status quo prevails.

Hi Mark,

This FCC order means so much more than affirmation
of the status quo.

It gives us a rare window of observation into FCC's
internal trends toward support for modernization
and progress.

It very significantly shows the willingness of the
FCC to open the door to change in several areas
toward digital advancement and away from prior
technologically adverse, artificial, or archaic
constraints.

It now seems quite clear from FCC's considered and
reasoned statements in the petition denial order,
that the only reason the 300 baud limit still
exists is as a remnant of past history that serves
no useful purpose in today's digital communications
technology.

As you know, it is common in USA for antiquated
"blue laws" to continue on the books, while
being effectively rendered useless or obsolete due
to changes in society or advancements in technology.

Congratulations, and on behalf of the majority of
the greater amateur radio community, we thank you
very much for your petition, Mark.

A result of it is that we may possibly better
project the possible outcome of future FCC rulemaking
opportunities, within perhaps a wider venue, to
include abolishment of baud limits altogether.

Indeed, baud limit is now considered not simply
superfluous, but counterproductive to the
primary purpose of USA's Amateur Radio Service
toward advancement of the radio art.

73 Bonnie KQ6XA