> Sholto KE7HPV wrote:
> Hello Bonnie,
> I was wondering if you could bring me (& others in the group)
> up-to-date  with your MIL 188-141A ALE experiments?

Hi Sholto,

Most of the experimental aspect of ALE ended in 2002
when the first basic ham radio ALE standards were developed.
Those standards became known as "Ham Friendly ALE" and
have provided good service without interference since then.

> specifically I would be be interested in knowing
> how most messages are passed? are they AMD/DBM or DTM?

The main method is AMD. The HFN pilot stations
http://hflink.com/hfn
also have an AMD-compatible format known as AMD-ARQ,
and it is used mainly for HF-HF relay, SMS-fone texting,
and internet connectivity purposes. DBM is mainly used
for longer messages or multiline email. DTM is not used
very much.

> Is the system now integrated into Winlink 2000?

Yes, by linking with an HFN Pilot Station, you can send
and receive messages via Winlink.org servers or
send SMTP or send to cellphone SMS system.
One of the main objectives for the High Frequency Network
is to be interoperative and message-compatible with
as many systems as possible. Winlink is one of many
systems we are using, but we especially appreciate the
Emcomm backbone that the winlink servers system provides.

> if so, what would be a simple procedure to send a
> message addressed to an internet email destination?

Perhaps it would be better for you to get the latest
information on that, directly on the HFLINK forum.

> Also, is there any use of the ARQ FAE semi-duplex mode?

Yes, there is some activity with ARQ FAE, but we don't
see very much. Since it isn't a standard, it only happens
between Multipsk users.

> it seems to me this is one of the most powerful
> yet underused methods of exchanging messages on HF
>  - especially in the 400Hz version of the mode.

Yes, I agree, FAE is a very effective protocol. It
works great. As for the ALE400, we have found that it
is an excellent system that has received very little
use. At some point we hope to focus more efforts
toward promoting it for those who like slow narrowband
weak signal comms. Unfortunately the ALE400 protocol
is somewhat incompatible with the fast signals of ALE...
ALE400 tends to have very very long transmissions, as
opposed to the fast back-and-forth of ALE. So, it
seems better not to try to mix them on a busy freq, such
as 14109kHz, but sharing relatively less-busy freqs seems
to work OK.

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA