Hi Andy,

Within the past year, the Winlink system has basically evolved to
become the standard ham radio Emcomm messaging "backbone".

The Winlink development team has upgraded the system from the previous
system, and now has all the RMS (Remote Message Servers) access points
communicating directly with international reduntant CMS (Central
Message Servers) in different parts of the world. Several different
programs exist (that run at the sites of the different types of RF
access points) for communicating with the CMS system. There are
built-in backups for direct RF-to-RF relay in the access point
programs... in the event that your RF access point can't communicate
with a CMS directly, you can use the RF access point for RF-to-RF
regional or local relay.

A single Winlink.org email address "account" now gets you a
portability of choices to go through one, any, or all of the different
types of RF and wired methods, modes, and access points to
send/receive email messages, position reports, and email/SMS phone
texting. You can go RF or directly through the web or POP3, whatever
you have. This is the kind of seamless access and redundancy that is
expected and needed these days for real world emcomm messaging stuff.

The methods for Winlink system access have been increasing so fast in
the past year, it is difficult for some of us to keep up with. But
here is a partial list of what I know of (someone please correct me if
I made a mistake or left something out)...

HF via Pactor 1,2,3 (email with attachments)
HF via ALE (AMD single line text, DBM ARQ multiline text)
VHF/UHF via Packet (email with attachments)
APRS (text message via commands in the comment line)
VHF/UHF via D-Star data (new)
POP3
Webmail

At this point, it is so easy to provide interconnectivity on
HF/VHF/UHF with the Winlink system, that there simply isn't any excuse
for not using it (except for personal ego or blood feud). Winlink is
simply one of the best ham radio emcomm messaging tools you can have
in your toolbox. There just isn't anything like it out there that
provides what it does.

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien"