I was a major Amtor operator many years ago when it was popular, and
later with Clover II, but neither are found on the ham bands anymore.
You would likely need to sked with someone to use these legacy modes.
The main hardware ARQ mode is Pactor, but that is mostly used for e-mail
systems.

Amtor had its shortcomings with a limited character set, and it's ARQ
and weak signal capabilities were not that good. When your equipment
tried to copy weak signals, you would start to get false characters. And
the signal strength would actually be pretty good (by today's standards)
when this happened. Those same signals today, would be easily copyable
with many of the non ARQ sound card modes.

Perhaps you might look into the sound card modes for an even better
experience. While very few hams will use ARQ modes for chatting, there
are a few of us who are willing to do this. And you will find some hams
on this group who like to have chats on hardware modes, particularly
Pactor.

In the past year, we have had what at least I consider to be major
breakthrough with new sound card ARQ modes! The best that I have tested
is the FAE400 mode, but it is only available in the Multipsk program. It
is not that common to hear it but last night a station was calling CQ on
the higher end of the 80 meter text data portion of the band. It has a
distinctive sound but I could not decode his signal consistently and he
did not respond to me either. Then I noticed that the Multipsk program
had some odd behaviors with an extra line in the mode mark points and
cruder looking text on the program itself. I rebooted the program and
then it started to work properly so it must have been some kind of glitch.

By the time I was ready to call him, another station answered his call
and so I did not pursue it. But that means that we had at least three of
us that will work the mode on 80 meters:) One station I believe was from
Indianapolis.

It is interesting that FAE400 is very similar to the way Clover II
worked. No over command. You just type on the keyboard and the machines
work out the sending and receiving. It seems more robust than Clover II
with weaker signals but I can not be sure since it probably has been
more than a decade since I last worked that mode. Several of my contacts
were calls to my CQ by the Clover and Clover II inventor, Ray, W7GHM and
we had great difficulty making it work since signals were weak between
Washington and Wisconsin with both of us using modest dipoles. Those
same signals today should work quite well with several of the sound card
modes. Of course, unlike Clover II, it can not scale up in speed for
stronger signals.

Has anyone compared Clover II to current sound card technology when it
comes to the weak signals?

If I had GNU/Linux back on one of my machines, I would give serious
consideration to trying out PSKmail. In addition to the e-mail
capability, it also has a full ARQ chat mode too. It may be difficult to
find anyone else in the U.S. to try this without a sked since hardly
anyone uses GNU/Linux here, but there are some strong proponents, so it
is possible.

I was recently contacted by a well known ham who has been active for
many years with public service/emergency work, and he asked me about
PSKmail. Since I have very limited knowledge of this system,  I looked
up their server count and was surprised to see that there are maybe half
a dozen now here in the U.S. It suggests to me that there may be an
increasing number of experimenters with this system, but I can't get any
others who do public service to move in that direction in my local area.
Maybe this will change if GNU/Linux gets to be popular enough to trigger
a critical mass? Maybe wishful thinking on my part for the short term (5
years) but maybe not for a decade or so out if many other countries
really do adopt it?