I have tested THOR22 extensively with PSKmail the past weeks, comparing it to
PSK250. It has shown that when PSK250 does not work anymore THOR22 is an
excellent
replacement. The idea is that when the channel goes so bad that arq with PSK250
slows
down to a factor of 4 (PSK63 speed) it is better to use THOR22. A slowdown of
4x is
reached when on average 50% of the blocks in a frame of 8 are damaged.

In practical use on 80 meters NVIS and 30 meters long range (2000 km) the power
factor is 8x. I.e. 40 Watts PSK250 = 5 Watts THOR22. Especially when selective
QSB hits on 80 meters
THOR22 is a winner.

On a mediocre channel there is no speed penalty as the arq with PSK250 will
slow down tremendously, and THOR22 has the added benefit of being qrm-hardened.

As a result of these tests we have some servers (PI4TUE, DA5UWG, SM0RWO)
running in dual mode (PSK250/THOR22) see the wiki for schedules....

73,

Rein PA0R

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com