I'm surprised you're not getting any Beeps out of the POST
(Power On Self Test)
Did it Beep during normal boot up during the POST tests,
before it had it's fall?

You mentioned that the fans are running and the CD is
getting power..

Is the fan on the CPU working?
Check to see if the connector for the CPU fan is connected
back to the motherboard, if it is running and is connected
back to the motherboard for power then mother board is
getting some power.

Before you get a Video card to try  One way to determine
if the PC is coming up or not is to perform a shutdown
blindly.

If running XP or Windows 2000 on my 3 reguarlly used PCs
(1 at work and 2 at home) hitting the windows key on the
left side of the keyboard brings up the windows menu, then
Arrow up 1 time selects "Shutdown" and hitting enter once
or twice sends it ot it's way to shutdown mode.

Another way is hit "[alt][cntl][delete]" which brings up a
dialog box and hitting "s" for showtdown followed by
"[Enter]"

Of course this depends on what programs may load on boot
up requiring intervention in the shutdown process.

If same OS on the problematic machine and the one you're
using here for email, Give that a shot on the working PC
then try on the dead one.

If the PC is booting up, and performing the shutdown turns
it off, then you can say it's something with the video.
Perhaps the Video connector got stressed and cracked at/in
the Video connector between where it passes through the
case / and connects to the motherboard.

73 Ben - ne5B