I would say its down to the audio set up at the tx station .. too
much audio and you start to see the IMD close in .. then if the
originating tone is under say 1500  hz then you normally see 2
decodes , one from the fundemental and the next from the 1st
harmonic, if the line in is up full as well then the sound card over
loads and makes you look wide as well

As to what they have adjusted who knows ! even they dont hihi
G ..