Hi Sholto,

It is not normal specifications to have 12dB tilt
(or more) within the passband of an SSB transmitter.
The engineer's response to your measured graph of
power vs passband frequency indicates that either
the engineer is BS'ing you, or the engineer is
unqualified to determine the problem.

Bonnie KQ6XA