--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Vojtech Bubnik" <bubn...@...>
wrote:

> > In a simple shoot out between olivia 250 x8 and msfk16 , olivia
> > stopped decoding whilst mfsk was still at 100% ... thought that
was
> > not supposed to  happen ?
>
> Hi Graham.
>
> I am certainly not surprised and it confirms my Gaussian noise
tests.
> Olivia trades sensitivity for automatic tuning. MFSK16's convolution
> coding provides for high sensitivity, but does not give sharp enough
> indicator, whether the data is valid. Basically the Hammond distance
> of the code is too low to give reliable indicator. Olivia uses Welsh
> block coding, which provides good data validity indicator, but has
not
> as high coding gain as convolution codes.
>
> For explanation of coding gain, see the excellent article from g3ruh
> http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/105.html
>
> I believe the perfect weak signal mode for HAM radio is yet to be
> designed with easy tuning of Olivia and high sensitivity of MFSK16,
> combining both convolution and block codes. Maybe overlying MFSK16
> with Reed-Solomon block code and running multiple MFSK16 decoders
with
> half tone spacing will do the trick.
>
> 73, Vojtech OK1IAK

The other thing was the initial test was mt63/500 ~ olivia 250 x 8 ,
MT dident do  very  well, so  ended up with mfsk .. the single tone
is handy as well , as many lf stns cannot handle linear modes like
psk  ..  but with the stability of modern rigs I dont see  why the
original mfsk should not make a come back ?

G ..