Hi Tony,

The original reason we went to DominoEx instead of MFSK16 or PSK63 was
because at VHF (we were originally using SSB), transceiver drift, in
addition to multipath, is a major problem and MFSK16 is much more critical
for mistuning or drift (on SSB) than DominoEx. But, when using FM, frequency
drift should not be as great a problem, and it may well turn out that MFSK16
will work better overall, but we have not yet made enough comparisons to
find out. FM is not usually used way under limiting, so this is rather new
ground for us. On SSB, between two stations that both have TCXO's, MFSK16
works really well, but unfortunately, it is not possible to control whether
or not a TCXO is being used.

Multipath is generally not a problem until the reflected signal is seen
crossing the main signal on the waterfall, and then a slow "beat note" can
be heard, regardless of signal strengths. At that time, the main signal is
often completely cancelled by the out of phase reflected signal, and there
is simply no resulting signal to decode until the reflected signal is seen
to move off to the side of the main signal. Once it has, the mode with the
lowest minimum S/N will work the best.

Over the long path, propagation often appears to be very steady, with no
atmospheric distortion, and the limiting factor is then the minimum S/N of
the mode. However, at other times, there is a persistent, fast flutter, and
at those times, MFSK16 might prove to be the best mode to use. We have yet
to find out.

As more people try using digital modes on 2 meter FM, the overall best
performing mode will automatically surface, but for the longest range on
digital modes (not counting CW), it is really necessary to use SSB, and in
that case, we have found that MFSK16 is just too critical for tuning to be
used with transceivers without a TCXO.

73, Skip KH6TY

> 4c. Re: NBEMS QST article/digital weak signal FM
>    Posted by: "Tony" d...@optonline.net kt2q
>    Date: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:44 pm ((PST))
>
> Skip,
>
> White noise tests show DominioEX-4 to be a bit more sensitive than MFSK16,
> but it doesn't seem to handle HF distortion nearly as well.
>
> I was surprised that it did better than MFSK16 with multipath and was
> wondering if you thought the better throughput was due to MFSK16 tuning
> issues rather than actual robustness?
>
> Tony - KHMU

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Recommended software:  Winwarbler, FLDIGI, DM780, or Multipsk

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: