The beta and software being developed in the foreseeable future will be
focused on Winlink 2000. It won't have a peer to peer function, unless
it is temporarily put there as we had with the SCAMP protocol some years
ago. Even then, they planned to remove PtoP once the software was made
available for general use.

Eventually the protocol will be tested and deployed and as Rick has
pointed out:

"Remember that WINMOR was not designed to be just another sound card mode
like PSK31 or Domino. It is designed for binary message forwarding and is
part of an entire email system (WL2K) and for it to work and be properly
evaluated all the parts that integrate the new mode must also be built and
tested."

Also, he says he will "probably make a DLL of WINMOR available for
others to use."

Of course all software developed by the Winlink team has been Windows
centric and will continue to be. There has been work done by a Linux
developer who has been able to provide Telpac and now RMSpacket clients
for Winlink 2000 and perhaps he will be able to make an open source
Linux version of WINMOR.

The final design won't be ready until real world beta testing is done.

The thing that struck me the most is that he sees Pactor becoming
obsolete since it is not that good of a mode compared with WINMOR. Of
course Pactor 2 and Pactor 3 are much more competitive with any sound
card mode for the forseeable future.

So the beta testing will be operating the Winlink 2000 system as you
normally would, but using a sound card mode in place of P2 or P3.
Ideally, everything else will be about the same. It should be similar to
how SCAMP was beta tested, except when conditions go near to zero dB and
maybe even a bit below zero dB SNR, the mode will continue working.
SCAMP failed much below +8 or +10 dB SNR.

The 4 FSK mode intrigues me the most as having a robust mode that can
handle at least moderate ISI and Doppler along with the 15 or so dB
capabilities for weaker signals.

As a comparison, the RFSM sound card modems, although they are based on
MIL-STD-188-110A, did not implement the more robust modes, particularly
the 75 bps mode designed for the worst conditions. It would have been
fascinating to see how well (or not) that mode works. A friend of mine
who uses this stuff regularly for military applications says that these
"ALE" type systems are not that great. But he also does not have any
experience with ham HF modes. If anyone else does have the experience
with both it would be appreciated if they would share what they have
found, especially in terms of robustness and throughput.