1. Make sure you are putting out a pure signal. Don't overdrive the rig (make
sure ALC is showing 0) and check the output of your soundcard on an
oscilloscope. Have your software generate a sine wave and make sure it looks
like one on the scope. "Stairsteps", excessive FM or sawtooth/triangle-like
waveforms mean your signal will probably not be decodable, and may even trash
the band for others. Sometimes decreasing (or increasing) the audio volume can
clean up a bad output.

2. Don't type in all caps. This slows down your transmission, makes it more
prone to errors, and is just annoying.

3. There is more to HF digital operation than PSK31. Tune a little above the
PSK activity and call with Hell or MFSK16. You can use the sked page to arrange
experiments with new or more esoteric modes.

-Joe, N8FQ