>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick W <mrf...@...> wrote:

>snip<

The administrator at Winlink 2000 does not support busy frequency
detection of their existing system and has publicly stated this with the
rationale that malicious operators would shut down their e-mail system. It does
seem a bit difficult to believe that there are that many individuals spending
their time interfering in this manner.

>>>Any operator who intentionally QRMs another signal is violating the
>>>fundamental spirit of amateur radio, and likely the regulations governing
>>>amateur radio in his or her country; there is simply no excuse for this kind
>>>of behavior.

>>>Deploying a system of PMBOs that are guaranteed to QRM in-progress QSOs, and
>>>then refusing to install busy frequency detectors to eliminate this
>>>interference on the grounds that those angered by the QRM would retaliate is
>>>ridiculous. It translates to "we're going to keep QRMing because if we stop,
>>>we'll be QRM'd by those we offended". This approach guarantees that the
>>>problem will not only continue, but get worse. Recent reports indicate that
>>>that the ranks of radio amateurs worldwide are increasing; my guess is that
>>>the ranks of digital mode operators are increasing disproportionately with
>>>respect to more traditional modes.

>>>Busy frequency detectors can and should be disabled during emergencies, so
>>>even if there were some unfortunate anti-Winlink QRM after busy-detectors
>>>were deployed, it would not interfere with WinLink's avowed primary mission.

  73,

      Dave, AA6YQ