I suspect I know what you're thinking of :)...
probably the same thing I was thinking of when
I read the Order:  A digitized voice mode where
the transmit channel data rate is sufficient for
transmitting at least twice what is required for
the compressed voice; packetizing the voice into
something that requires less than half of the
available bandwidth, an having a "non-repeater"
re-transmit the signal in the intervals between
the packets it receives.  Setting a 'has been
retransmitted' bit in the packet would prevent
double packets messing things up on receive if
the receiver hears both signals.

Sounds like fun.

Or, if that wasn't what you were thinking of,
sounds like there may even be *more* fun out there.

73,

Paul / K9PS