FWIW, for MARS MT63 and Olivia I use a 'scope to set output and audio
levels. From time to time I've had to use 500 Watts of Olivia to be heard
by all stations!   MT63 has a high crest factor, and the wattmeter will
sometimes show 500 Watts, sometimes as low as 14 Watts.   But that's an
ex-military set designed to run 200W RTTY at 100 percent, or up to 500W at
lower duty cycles.

Different Amateur rigs have different ALC response. My FT-450 is still not
clipping at ALC onset.  I suspect the most accurate setting for PSK would
be transmitting into a dummy load and watching indicated IMD on a separate
receiver.

Cortland
KA5S

When I

http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/digimodesF6CTE_en,
>  about some of the technical details of the different digital modes.  One
interesting specification is the average to peak power ratio of the
waveform.  For PSK the number is 0.79.  This means that increasing the
average output power level above 79 watts will begin to show some clipping
on a transmitter designed for 100 watts output peak.  The average to peak
ratio is a statistical average over some period of time.  There may be some
short periods of time when the peak signal exceeds this ratio and begins to
exhibit some objectionable distortion that may cause broadening of the
spectrum, increased IMD and reduced readability.

> For the FSK modes such as RTTY and for some of the MFSK modes the average
to peak ratio is 1.0.  For these modes you can transmit at the full power
rating of the transmitter without causing any distortion of the signal.

> The effect of ALC action on the linearity of the signal will depend on
the design of the ALC.  If the time constant of the ALC is fast enough to
follow the envelope of the signal then it effectively produces non-linear
compression of the signal which causes distortion of the waveform.  If the
time constant is long then the ocassional peaks will cause some gain
reduction in the TX chain but it will be mostly linear for everything less
than those ocassional peaks.

> The error rate vs SNR for digital modes has a very steep curve with a
sharp cutoff of readability only for constant steady state noise
conditions.  For HF conditions with QSB of 20 dB to 30 dB and static
crashes, a 1 dB difference in average SNR may only mean the difference of
10% (or less) error rate or readability.  So increasing the power from 40
to 60 watts (1.76 dB) would cause only marginal difference in the
readibility.

> This is my somewhat simplistic understanding of the subject.  Some of the
figures given here are only qualitative examples based on my experience
with testing digital communications system error rates under standardized
channel noise and fading conditions.

> I made some PSK contacts last week runing 1/2 watt of power on 30m and
20m.  Now I feel a little guilty about running 25 - 50 watts the rest of
the time.