I use a docking station that allows you to drop a SATA drive into it,
and it acts just like another hard drive on the system. it plugs into
the computer via a USB line, and has an external power supply to get
the +5 and +12 to spin the drive. This model of dock also has memory
card slots and 2 additional USB ports for memory sticks.

I use it to reformat and image drives at work, and to read the memory
cards of the different cameras that everyone uses.

Most of our tech staff has portable drives made from laptop drives put
into an external USB enclosure. Not the cheap way to go, but it was
more cost efficient at the time.