I wanted to thank Rein for his hard work in developing a simple to use
Puppy ISO for us non-Linux users to be able to try PSKMAIL server
operations. I am quite impressed by the features that PSKMAIL has.

I know that the concept is simple,  but the addition of RSID and the
multi mode nature of fldigi really make a difference for PSKMAIL.
Yesterday, my server was monitoring the band in Thorr22 mode .  I
heard weak RSID on the band and noticed I had been switched to THOR8
by the reception of the RSID  and then the person connected to my
server.  I am impressed that we have a email and APRS system that can
be used on HF and we can change the mail server station's mode if
necessary.

I still have to do some experimenting to find that mode that will do
error free ARQ type message exchanges in just "fair"  conditions.  I
have had people connect and try Thorr22, 11, and 8.  plus various BPSK
, and also MFK16.  We have all had those QSOs where a really weak
signal still produces 100% copy while keyboarding.  However I have yet
to see that using ALE, WINMOR, FLARQ, or PSKMAIL.  Under just fair
conditions , using the aforementioned in ARQ/FEC states, it always
seems difficult to get a message through when conditions are not
optimum.  MFSK16 did pretty well though, so perhaps I will play around
more with that.  While we know that PSKMAIL works well with modes like
PSK250 and THOR22 when there is a good signal, my goal is to find a
mode that can be switched to to get a message through during poor
conditions, even if it is very slow due to repeated request to resend
data .

After a week of playing around, asking questions, and reading some
instructions, I have learned there is a lot to PSKMAIL.  Rein PA0R
and Pär SM0RWO  should be congratulated for their  fine product . Dave
W1HKJ  , Stelios M0GLD  and  Leigh WA5ZNU should likewise be
congratulated for their innovations in fldigi.  In fact I will go as
far as saying that if you want your station to be prepared for digital
mode use in emergency situations, Fldigi is now THE software that each
ham should have. The pskmail, flarq,and  wrap file options with Fldigi
give the "emcomm" ham all they need for either VHF or HF emergency
work.  That is indeed a bold statement but one that I feel I can
verify.  My view is that every station at a EOC or hospital should
have a boot disc with FLdigi laying around, ready for use...just in
case.  In fact, on Monday I will place a copy in the RACES station at
my local hospital.

Andy k3uk