Have you ever tried FDMDV? Very narrow (~1200 Hz), all-software digital voice
protocol that sounds pretty good and, due to the low bandwidth, works well with
low power. Look for activity around 14.236 USB.

As far as VHF goes, D-STAR is getting pretty popular worldwide. Of course,
there currently aren't any implementations other than Icom's overpriced radios.

-Joe, N8FQ