On 01/13/10 06:46 pm, W3FIS wrote:

>> Any use of Pskmail related to the emergency in Haiti ?  Seems that is
>> is tailor made for such a situation.  Short hops from Haiti to servers
>> on HF

> Well,this came across today..... this fellow is active on the REGEN group,
> and runs a SWL program out of Radio Havana, I believe.
>

> IARU Region 2 Area C Emergency Coordinator, Arnie Coro, CO2KK, is
> coordinating a multi-national response by hams. There are organized
> nets on 7.045 and 3.720 MHz; amateurs are asked to monitor the
> frequencies, but to also keep them clear of non-essential traffic.
> Amateur Radio operators should also be aware that emergency traffic
> pertaining to the Haitian earthquake is expected on the SATERN
> frequencies of 14.265 MHz, 7.265 MHz and 3977 MHz, according to
> SATERN's leader, Major Pat McPherson. The Salvation Army is
> accepting health and welfare traffic requests on its Web site.
>
> "As late as 9:45 PM local time (0245 UTC), we have not been able to
> contact any amateur or emergency services stations in Haiti," Coro
> said in an e-mail. "Amateurs from Cuba, the Dominican Republic,
> Puerto Rico and Venezuela are monitoring the 40 meter band
> frequency. We are still keeping watch on 7.045 MHz, hoping that
> someone in Haiti may have access to a transceiver and at least a car
> battery to run it," but so far. no HH stations have checked in.

For a while this afternoon I listened on 14.300 and 14.313 to HH2JR Jean
operating with power from a neighbor's generator and getting messages
via phone patch to people in the US.

He reported that there had been numerous aftershocks since the original,
then reported another strength 5 shock at approx 1720 EST.

73

Alan NV8A