Andy,

I did bite the bullet and purchased the Flex-5000A a little over 2 years.

I disagree w/ Dave about the one box solution. The 5000A is a one box solution.
The SDR-1000, the original Flex model, definitely requires a bunch of boxes and
cables. Yes the 5000A and certain options will fix in one box. The exception,
of course, is the PC. And I don't feel the need for numerous add-ons and
accessories.

Yes it is a work in progress. Generally the rig gets better as things progress.
It is a much better rig than it was when I first bought it. I have a couple of
the ICOM Pro Series rigs, and you are stuck with the rig with the feature set
it first came with. The Flex keeps adding new features.

I've never had rig before that has satisfied my itch for something different or
better. Yes I drool at the thought of getting an Elecraft K3. And there is the
constant nagging thought using a rig not tethered to a PC. Yet I continually
return the 5000A after a CW stint on my Elecraft K2/100.

I can't image anything better than SDR for digital work. VAC (Virtual Audio
Cables) really makes the sound card modes shine. VAC eliminates a whole layer
of D-A and A-D conversion with a pure digital connection between the rig and a
virtual sound card. In fact SDRs can eliminate the interface box when running
sound card modes.

There are some short comings, such as latency, which comes into play with full
QSK CW. Perhaps TOR modes could be affected by latency. I feel that is offset
by having the best receiver I've ever owned. In case my, that is mid level
rigs, and not the Cadillacs. Sherwood Engineering ranks the 5000A  second after
the first place Elecraft K3.

I am not sure just what Andy's SDR receiver is and how it compares to the Flex
series. I definitely would not hesitate to recommend SDRs. My experience is
solely Flex based. I can't give an opinion on other SDR solutions as I've not
tried them. SDRs require a ham who really likes to tweak and is technically
astute. It is not for appliances operators. Somehow I think most members of
this group fit that description.

73,

Steve N6VL