Rein PA0R wrote:

> What I don't understand is why NOBODY uses the pskmail arq
> chat mode
> Why accept 5% error when you can have it 100% error free?

Patrick's ALE-400 FAE ARQ is another mode that falls into
this category Rein. Like PSKMail, it sees little use as an
ARQ chat mode.

A nice thing about ARQ besides the error-free throughput, is
that there's no need wait for the other station to un-key in
order to change the subject or inject a comment. Patrick's
use of FAE (Fast Acknowledgment Exchange) allows for ACKS /
NACKS every 6 to 7 seconds.

Another advantage of ARQ is that it can check for errors
that occur as the band changes. With non-ARQ modes, data can
be lost during long key downs and the sending station has no
way of knowing that. With ARQ, the constant exchanges let
the sending operator know if the data is getting through.

I wrote an ALE-400 chat mode guide for for the group some
time ago and it seemed to catch on for a while (see below).
A setup guide for PSKMail chat mode might help.

Tony -K2MO

Quick Start Guide For ALE-400

Multipsk Download Site :
http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

Installation:

Note. Do not install the program from the desktop. Copy the
Multipsk ZIP file to a temporary folder and click the
INSTALL.EXE file. By default, the program will be installed
in the Multipsk folder.

Configuration:

The program should open the configuration screen on the
first installation. If not, click CONFIGURATION located in
the upper left corner of the main window and click
CONFIGURATION SCREEN.

In the CONFIGURATION SCREEN.

Click SERIAL PORT to select your PTT COM PORT (or VOX)
Click OPTIONS FOR SERIAL PORTS (if additional settings are
needed)
Click SOUND CARD INPUT / OUTPUT to configure your sound card
Click RX/TX SCREEN button to return to main window

Entering Your Personal Information:

In the upper left corner of the main window, click
CONFIGURATION / PERSONAL DATA. Enter your call sign, name,
locator and so on - click save.

RSID Management:

Click CONFIGURATION / MANAGEMENT OF THE IDENTIFIERS
Click TRANSMISSION OF YOUR CALL SIGN + LOCATOR in the popup
window. At the top of this window, click CONTINUOUS under
DETECTION MODE. Click QUIT to return to the main program
window.

* Call sign and locator will be taken from the information
previously entered in the PERSONAL DATA window. It is
important to follow the setup sequence.

Reed Solomon Identifiers:

The RS ID buttons are located in the upper left side of the
main program window just above the waterfall. These
indentifiers will remain active once clicked. Unclick to
deactivate.

RSID - this transmits the Reed Solomon mode identifier when
clicked. It lets others know what mode you are transmitting.
In ALE400, the Reed Solomon ID is automatically sent so this
button stays in use.

RX RSID - when active, this button allows Multipsk to
automatically switch modes upon RSID reception.

RX CALL ID - activates the reception of the CALL ID allowing
you to see the other stations call sign and locator or CALL
ID. It will appear inside the waterfall once decoded.

Sending the CALL ID

Clicking the CALL ID button (located on the far left of side
of the main window) will SEND your CALL ID which is your
call sign and locator. It will appear in the waterfall at
the receiving station.

RSID Map Activation:

The Multipsk Map will automatically display upon the
reception of the transmitting stations CALL ID and will show
that stations location on the map.

Waterfall:

Waterfall controls are located on the right side of the main
window. Make sure WATERFALL / HIGH is clicked for best
results. Adjust the waterfall color and contrast using the
up/down COLOR buttons.

Appearance:

Font type, color and window size buttons are located on the
bottom left of the main window. Click FONTS / HEIGHT to
adjust to your preference.

Macros

Patrick has already configured the Multipsk macros. The user
information for each macro is taken from the PERSONAL DATA
where your call sign, name and locator are stored. If you'd
like to customize the macros, right click on the macro
buttons. Remember to click SAVE AND CLOSE when finished.

Using the ALE-400 ARQ FAE "CHAT MODE"

In the main window, click on ALE-400 mode (not 141A ALE) and
the ARQ FAE button located in the middle of the window
(buttons stay pushed in). The "official" 20 meter ALE-400
calling frequency is 14074.0 DIAL. Offset it fixed at
+1625Hz.

Click the CQ button next to ARQ FAE button to send a CQ. The
CQ will go out as soon as the button is pressed;
transmitting 6 seconds and listening for 7 seconds. To end
the call, click the END button next to the CQ button.

Note - the CQ must finish before you can end the call.

Multipsk will connect automatically once the ALE-400 signal
is detected by another station (ANSWER button must be
clicked). The stations call sign will appear in the RX
window confirming a connection. The PC speaker will BEEP to
confirm the connection as well.

The ALE-400 ARQ Chat Mode QSO

The top window is where you enter your outgoing text. It
will be transmitted as soon as the first character is typed
unless the other station is transmitting. In that case,
there will be a short wait period while receiving the signal
before the TX/RX change-over.

Each Ham can type at the same time since the mode works like
a pseudo "full-duplex" system. The middle window shows the
text that has been received (acknowledged) by the other
station.

It is normal to see the same text repeated on occasion if
signals are weak or the HF channel is disturbed. This is
where the ARQ comes into play by requesting repeats for the
missing data. The ALE-400 ARQ mode does 60 wpm unilateral
and 85 wpm in a back-and-forth bilateral exchange (42 wpm
each way). Bilateral operation begins when both stations
type at the same time.

We have found that it is possible to 'force' collisions (for
test purposes) with ALE-400 ARQ if you hit enter-to-send at
the right moment, especially when signals are weak. This is
where Patrick's RSID re-synchronization comes in handy. This
feature is on the latest test version
(http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_TEST_09_10_2009.ZIP).

Calling a station with Selective calling

Selective calling allows you to call and connect to a
specific station. To do this, you'll need to click the AUX
FUNCTIONS button which is located in the middle of the main
program window.

In the AUX FUNCTIONS window, enter the station call sign you
wish to call in the SELECTIVE CALL IN ARQ FAE box and click
the CALL button.

You'll know the connection is made when the PC speaker beeps
and by the connect confirmation in the RX window. To end the
contact, click the END button in the main window.

Sending Messages to the Radio Mailbox

Messages can be sent to the Multipsk Radio Mailbox while in
chat mode. The station sending mail will still be able to
copy incoming keyboard chat from the station receiving the
message. Normal two-way keyboarding will automatically
resume once the message completes.

To send a message to the Multipsk Radio Mailbox, click the
AUX FUNCTIONS / FILE TO SEND and select the file. Click
ATTACH FILE and then SEND MAIL + FILE.

A watermark will show the message transfer time and progress
as it's being sent. A one hundred word message will complete
in just under 2 minutes. The time to send a message will
increase if the HF channel is poor.

See links below for additional information on Multipsk and
the ALE-400 ARQ FAE mode.

73, Tony -K2MO

General guides for ALE and ALE400 (ARQ FAE included) done by
Patrick
(F6CTE):

ALE and ALE400 easy with Multipsk:
http://f6cte.free.fr/ALE_and_ALE400_easy_with_Multipsk.doc