IMO, ROS is not *true* SS in the legal sense.  Other posts I've read cite an
FCC reference that SS involves spreading the signal EVENLY over the
bandwidth.  ROS is using 16 DISCRETE tones to modulate, with a lot more
empty space than actual signal.  I'm curious how much of spread spectrum's
jam resistance is created by ROS.

I plan to try ROS as soon as a new version is released which will allow me
to utilize a non-default sound card.  I've run the currently available
version, but the sound came out over my PC speakers rather than going into
my interface, so I never transmitted anything.

FCC rules, IMHO, include several gray areas.  For example, is it permissable
to send a PGP-signed message over the airwaves?  The message itself is plain
text, but it includes a cryptographic SIGNATURE for authentication purposes.
According to the spirit of the law, that should be a Good Thing <tm> since
it actually discourages the sending of false signals.  Technically, though,
there are a few bytes of "code and cypher" attached.  We won't even discuss
steganography, where a secret message is embedded in a harmless-appearing
file, such as a .JPG file.

Perhaps we need a ROS specific group to discuss this mode?

--
Dave - AF6AS