Andy wrote:

>     I find it rather amazing that 99% of the posts on ROS, and any
>     other new data mode, are related to its legality in the US. How
>     did you end up with such restrictive amateur licensing practices
>     that experimentation with any new ideas is almost regulated away?
>     Or worries the users that they make be flung in prison for
>     transmitting them :-)

Unfortunately the same way some of my brit friends found themselves in
catch 22 regarding bio-fuels.... was not illegal. But was not taxed, so
could not be used without paying tax. But there was no agency to pay tax
to. IE: Bureaucracy! Big fines, court appearances, no law broken, yet
all tangled up.

I'll just say the US is not the only country with agencies restricting
things based on red-tape rather than any legit reason.

Even the FCC can be worked with if you go to the trouble to find the
entry point, I've seen it done before more than once. But that's harder
than having arm-chair lawyers make their declaration "It's illegal". :-)

My read: If the radio stays on a single frequency in SSB mode the new
mode does not meet the definition of spread spectrum that is restricted
in HF. Many advanced digital protocols manage the spectrum in the SSB
bandwidth to achieve performance. But since the implied carrier
frequency is not moving, it's not spread spectrum in the classic sense.

You might be able to argue if it's legal for use in certain band
segments, etc. You could talk about effective symbol rate, though many
modes are working around that as well.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba