ROS is one voice channel wide, it seems to have been conceived for a 3
kHz wide voice channel, as usual with SSB radios.
Its width is comparable with accepted modes like MT63 or Olivia xx:2000.

It is not an automated mode, it is meant for keyboarding.

Its spectrum spreading is hardly the way WiFi works, nor the hopping
mode of some HF tactical radios. It is not the way spread spectrum is
defined in my paper bound 1986 ARRL Handbook or Operating Manual.

There is nothing secret with it as far as I have seen, if you have the
public program.

I have not seen the specs, but I have watched it in a loopback
connection using Spectran. I have the pictures stored in my HD.

Limits in nowadays technology are more complex, or fuzzier, perhaps. But
ROS is neither wider than a voice channel nor an automated mode.
Of course, it is ALWAYS a 3 kHz wide channel, and should be accomodated
accordingly, say, like Olivia xx:2000.

And I agree that in "legalese", the wording is extremely important. A
badly worded claim may do more damage than obtaining meager benefits.

73,

Jose, CO2JA