I find it very interesting that this entire discussion, under more than one
thread already closed by Andy (thank you sir) that the main discussion is to
the legality of spread spectrum in the HF bands, without a real understanding
of the actual technical definitions/differences between spread spectrum vs PSK.
Since the real modulation scheme of ROS is actually a form of FSK or PSK (
which does indeed cause the actual transmitted frequency to "shift" based on
the modulation signal present at any given moment). Someone please explain to
me the difference. If ROS is "illegal" simply because the author happened to
"call it spread spectrum" in his papers, then I suspect we have far more
problems than this discussion even begins to touch on. As has been said
repeatedly in these threads, Olivia, JT65a, and various other FSK modes could
just as easily be "called spread spectrum" and suddenly by those "rule book
quoters" be declared illegal. However, they are not. They are rightfully called
PSK, such as BPSK, 31PSK, etc. Heck, for that matter, if you wished to get real
technical, the very method of modulating any form of SSB becomes a slight form
of FSK

YES, "the rule book" (part 97) does say "spread spectrum" is illegal below 222
mhz, however, it does not get into the details of precisely what spread
spectrum is, nor does it discuss the method of modulating it so as to define
the difference between PSK and spread spectrum.

These discussions become quite lively every single time a new mode surfaces
(remember SSTV, digital modes in general, etc. etc. etc.) Each time the very
same discussion ensues all quoting some text from the part 97 without regards
to whether it really applies or not. Then the discussion begins around the
rules rather than the legitimacy of the discussion to begin with.

Thanks Andy for recognizing the circular propensity of some of the other
threads discussing the same thing.

As to whether the ROS mode is illegal or not, I have no clue, nor do I pretend
to, nor do I care. I suspect that the intent of the FCC rules is to preserve
and protect the bands, and I do know that experimentation is more than just
expected or tolerated, but is virtually mandated by the very nature of our
hobby/service by law.

John
KE5HAM

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio" <expeditionra...@...>