CPU "capability" is but one set of dimensions (clock speed, instruction
issue rate, cache size, cache organization) in a multi-dimensional problem
that includes motherboard capabilities (CPU-memory interface, GPU
organization and interface, memory organization and speed), disk
capabilities (rotational latency, track-to-track seek time, transfer rate),
and Windows configuration (settings on "Performance Options" window's
Advanced tab, and a bunch more accessible via a Registry Editor).

If you monitor the excellent FlexRadio reflector, you'll see how challenging
it is to "compute" a hardware configuration for optimized for just one
application; building and evaluating multiple configurations was required to
find the "sweet spot". Computing an optimal configuration to host 12
applications is hopeless; this requires the application of general
principles, not a spreadsheet.

The most critical decision should be made up front: do all of the
applications you need run correctly in a 64-bit environment? If so, then
plan on building a 64-bit system (Windows 7, if your applications will all
run there correctly); I wouldn't choose a motherboard that supports less
than 16 GB of RAM, but you can start out by populating it with 2GB or 4GB as
your budget allows (don't start with an initial increment that's would have
to be discarded to utilize the maximum memory capacity, however). A 64-bit
operating system does reduce the choice of serial port interfaces; see

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Win7VistaHardware>

As far as I know, none of the applications on your list can exploit more
than one processor core, so you should choose a dual-core processor (Windows
will run on one core, and your applications will compete for the second
core); if PhotoShop were on you list, you'd reach a different conclusion.
Spend some time on Intel's and AMD's web sites looking at the desktop
processor comparison charts, e.g.

<http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/corei7-specs.htm>

Dvorak's old rule of "third best" is a good starting point, as companies
charge big premiums for their most-powerful CPUs. CPU selection should also
consider cache size and architecture (bigger, with more sets is better).
Also don't buy a CPU built with an older production process. From Intel, you
want 32 nm lithography, not 45 nm; smaller transistors run faster and
generate less heat.

In choosing a GPU, pick one that offloads all graphics processing, and will
handle the screen resolution you'll likely be using over the next couple of
years (taking multiple monitors into account, if that's a possibility). This
will be an add-in card that can later be upgraded, so tradeoffs can be made.
Alternatively, you can save some money by starting with the GPU from your
current PC, assuming its above the bar and will run under the new PC's
version of Windows.

With hard drives, its tempting to buy the biggest disk you can afford, but
those spacious 1+TB drives are relatively slow, and a PC with one hard drive
is slower than a PC with two hard drives. If you can, go with two hard
drives - a ~100 GB device with fast track-to-track times and low rotational
latency to host the operating system, and a larger slower drive for your
applications and data. Western Digital's Velociraptor family is a good
candidate for the small/fast C: drive; you could consider a solid state
"drive" for this role, but I have no personal experience with them. Choose a
motherboard that supports a 3 GB SATA interface, and choose hard drives that
exploit this interface. Again, you can save some money up front by starting
with your current PC's hard drive in your new system, and upgrade later.

All DXLab applications run correctly under 64-bit XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

     73,

         Dave, AA6YQ