Julian,
thanks for your comments.

Yes, laws are laws.
Also the Hammurabi rule "If a man puts out the eye of an equal, his eye shall
be put out" was a law but I don't think that it would be of great help in our
modern society.

I agree with you that simulations should be performed prior to any other "on
air" experiment. I think that this is already a common practice nowadays or at
least that nobody interested in a serious development would omit to perform it
today.

I also agree that amateur bands are not just an experimenter's playground but
this implicitly means that they are not exclusive to "communicators".
If I were an experimenter I would like to see acknowledged my right to make my
experiments somewhere in our bands. I would have no interest interfering other
users activity, I would just need a portion of the spectrum where me or other
amateurs on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean were not considered criminals
just because we are validating a model on the field.

I don't agree that we should use modes which have already been invented and
stop looking for new ones. Research and development in communications and in
information theory are everything but dead.
Turbo codes were submitted to the attention of the research community just
fiftheen years ago, when many had already missed the hope that the Shannon
channel capacity could be really approached.
Should Berrou, Glavieux and Thitimajshima have made more use of what had been
already invented instead of experimenting what had not be done yet? And what
about those who dedicated their time inventing new efficient algorithms to
decode LDPC (or Gallager's) codes, as David MacKay did few years later?
Koetter (unfortunately passed away at a still young age), one of the two
researchers who found an algebraic soft decision method to decode better than
before the Reed-Solomon codes, as those used in Joe's  JT65, published his work
in 2003 or so.
Should we have stopped our alternatives to knowledge and technologies available
in 2002? I don't think so.
We should better keep up with news and new modes.

Nico, IV3NWV