I guess I can chime in here with my 2 bits.  Why not use cw as the common
communication mode.  My computer, using MultiPSK, can read CW quite well.  And
I understand that morse code recognition actually uses very little of the
computer's resources.  It is relatively easy to add a function to a computer
program... much easier than adding the same function to a 'conventional'
transceiver.
Ted Stone, WA2WQN