Julian,

By definition, it is SS "if" the pattern is independently generated from the data. The original intent of FHSS was to make third-party decoding impossible without knowledge of the code that generated the tones or carriers. FCC rules disallow encryption because we are required to police the bands ourselves. As long as there is not a pattern to the frequencies generated, that is independent of the data, one of the necessary and sufficient conditions to qualify as FHSS is missing. However, in the case of ROS, the repeated pattern is not there, so, until the regulations are changed, ROS is illegal FHSS, even though the spreading is limited and capable of third-party monitoring. That is a result of a historical attempt to prevent encryption, but this can probably be changed through the petition process with public comment. Until then, hams in the US have no choice but to abide by the regulations as written.

In the author's own words, three necessary and sufficient elements make it SS, and a search of the literature says the same:

1. The signal occupies a bandwidth much in excess of the minimum bandwidth necessary to send the information. 2. Spreading is accomplished by means of a spreading signal, often called a code signal, which is independent of the data. 3. At the receiver, despreading (recovering the original data) is accomplished by the correlation of the received spread signal with a synchronized replica of the spreading signal used to spread the information.

The operative phase here is "independent of the data".

It is just unfortunate that the FCC regulations, as currently written, do not allow ROS on HF and that they really need to be updated. Note that SS is already permittted above 222 MHz, where there is plenty of space to use for spreading that does not exist on HF. In fact, the encryption aspect is not even mentioned, except in other parts of the regulations disallowing encryption. The regulations were obviously written to prevent extremely wide SS signals from interfering with other users. Since ROS is no wider than a phone signal, there is no reason the regulations should not be modified to allow it (perhaps with other necessary limitations), but until then, and right now, ROS is illegal below 222 Mhz. It is that simple!

Compare the repeated pattern of MFSK64 to the random pattern of ROS as data is applied. Substituting a 2- page "technical description" which is COMPLETELY different from the 7-page description of ROS as FHSS in an obvious attempt to circumvent FCC regulations is simply not believable, as an apparent twisting of the FCC's statement of illegality was apparently not true either. Which "version" is to be believed? Well, we don't need to decide that, and you apparently cannot believe anything the author claims since he keeps claiming something else! Anyone, including the FCC, can simply observe the differences in the spectral footprint of each, which is plainly shown here in a comparison of MFSK64 and ROS 1 baud at 2200 Hz width:

http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/compare.zip

Note how the repetitive sending of data (........) does not result in any repetitive pattern on ROS, but it does in MFSK64, and MFSK64 idles with a repeated pattern, but ROS does not. The ROS tones are obviously not determined by the data and are also pseudo-randomly generated - definitely FHSS.

The FCC regulations describe permitted and not permitted (i.e. SS and others) emissions. They could care less about what a mode is called or how it is described by someone, because in the final analysis, we are required to maintain our EMISSIONS per the regulations, or have the regulations changed through the petition and public comment process.

Had the author not tried so hard to convince everyone that ROS was Spread Spectrum, this debate would probably never have occurred. It was the term, "Spread Spectrum" that raised red flags among US hams who are knowledgeable of the regulations we operate under, and they were right in realizing that, as a result, ROS is illegal on HF unless the regulations are changed. The FCC then confirmed that through the ARRL.

73 - Skip KH6TY

g4ilo wrote:
Is the random or pseudo-random manner of generating the tones or carriers an essential element of spread-spectrum? If so, and if the aim of using such a method is not to obfuscate the message but only to provide better immunity to interference and path variations, would you be any worse off using a repeated pattern of tones instead of a pseudo-randomly generated one? And if you did that, would it still be spread-spectrum?

Julian, G4ILO