On 4/10/2010 5:05 AM, H Stang wrote:

*Tony,*
*Thanks for bringing up this Topic. I knew nothing about RSID. I will start researching the topic. *

My pleasure Hal. Check out Andy's QST article in the reflectors files section and Patrick Lindecker's documentation on RSID:
http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm
**
* I am not sure of the ramifications of the use of RSID but it sounds like it might help me out. *

Well, RSID is about 170Hz wide so you wouldn't want to use it within a cluster of PSK31 signals. It's unnecessary anyway since PSK31 is easily recognized. On the other hand, it may not be easy for some to distinguish PSK63F from PSK63 so it best to use it if there's enough elbow room. The majority of modes use more spectrum than the 170Hz RSID anyway so there's no QRM issue there.

Simply put, RSID is a short duration digital identifier that precedes the digital mode signal so others can detect which mode is in use. It's not unusual to detect the RSID without actually hearing the mode itself so it is highly sensitive.

*I hear a signal and I think it is DominoEx or Olivia or what ever is being sent and I never make the contact or cannot figure out what the mode is. It gets frustrating when you get a really strong signal in the evening , and you think you can work the operator and ragchew for a while.*

We've all been there Hal. I'm sure you remember the early days, there were only a few sound card modes to choose from; now there are more than we can count, let alone identify by ear ; ). That's where RSID comes in.

Tony -K2MO

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Tony <mailto:d...@optonline.net>
    *To:* digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
    <mailto:digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
    *Sent:* Friday, April 09, 2010 7:18 PM
    *Subject:* [digitalradio] RSID Query

    All,

    I was just wondering if there's any confusion or misunderstanding
    among
    the group about RS-ID? We all know that it's not always easy to
    identify
    a mode by sight and sound yet I still see many calling CQ without any
    mode identification. The end result, no contacts. I'm sure most of
    the
    seasoned digital ops know what RS ID is and what it does, so
    what's the
    reasoning behind not using it?

    Tony -K2MO

    FLDIGI - Check RX ID / TX ID in upper right corner of program window.
    Click CONFIGURE / IDS to set preferences.

    MULTIPSK - Click RS ID / RX RS ID in main window.
    Click CONFIGURATION / MANAGMENT OF ID's.
    Check CONTINUOUS DETECTION.

    Ham Radio Deluxe / DM780 Version 5

    Open DM780. Click OPTIONS / MODES + IDs / REED SOLOMON TAB.
    Check: ENABLE RSID DETECTION / SHOW IN QSO WINDOW AS HYPERLINK
    SHOW POPUP WINDOW / SHOW RSID BUTTON ON QSO TRANSMIT TOOLBAR