Hi Jaak,

Great idea to start a long test of Contestia 250/4!

Perhaps Contestia 250/8 can also be compared in actual practice to Contestia 250/4. Contestia 250/8 is slower (at 29 wpm), but decodes 2 dB deeper into the noise, which may be important when there is QSB (fading) and the signal is already near the noise level ( such as when the band is going out). Although I can type over 50 wpm, my personal feeling is that 29 wpm is fast enough for a QSO, but Contestia at 78 wpm (3 dB less sensitive) is more reasonable for passing traffic (if conditions can support 3 dB less sensitivity). If not, then to be able to pass the traffic at all, it has to be sent at a slower, more sensitive speed, such as Contestia 250/4.

It all depends upon the average individual preference for typing speed for QSO's vs conditions.This may become clear during your tests. I hope the testers will make their minimum typing speed preferences known, as well as how well the mode works.

73, Skip KH6TY

Jaak Hohensee wrote:
Hi everybody

* Contestia derived from Olivia. * Contestia 250/4 is channelfree like psk or rtty. BW less than
      rtty and same as psk125, 39wpm, snr -9dB.
    * So Contestia 250/4 is good narrowband alternative for psk31 or
      rtty folk, specially when propagtion is not for psk/rtty or
      signals are too weak.
    * Contestia 250/4 is good mode for mid- or high-latitude folk.
      Many times there are disturbed propagation path not suited for
psk or rtty. * Concept testing period to the end of year 2010. Everybody is
      welcome.

More info contestia.blogspot.com <http://contestia.blogspot.com/>

--
vy73, Jaak