I think you might be confusing baud rate with frequency shift.  Not the same.

In entering the mode, you can enter mode,(selectables).  For instance, for HF
RTTY you can select difference baud rates, so you might enter
   MODE HB,45   or
   MODE HB,75

But for HF packet there are no selectables, so you just enter
   MODE HP

Your baud rate will be 300, and your frequency shift will be 200 HZ because the
modem is (or should be) tuned to 2110/2310.  Your dial frequency will be
different from when you use a TNC with 1600/1800 tones, but since the shift is
the same, the decoding should work just fine.

Another thing is...are you sure the TNC is staying in KISS mode?  MFJ is
notorious for jumping out of KISS mode. I have an early MFJ 1278 that
absolutely will not stay in KISS mode when doing HF packet.  Works fine in all
other modes, but not in HF packet.  I have a newer model that works just fine,
so you can get different results from different models.

MFJ says if you have that problem, try entering
   $C0, $FD,$C0
Didn't work for me, but apparently it does for some since it is in their manual.

73  Mark  KQ0I